One of the things Cynthia and I did on this recent trip was go horseback riding. I've been asked how I was able to go horseback riding with my injuries and whatnot. I reckon if a few are brave enough to ask, there are probably more who would like to know but are afraid to ask outright. It doesn't bother me when people ask about my injuries and I don't mind answering. So in this post I will share a little of what my life is really like... a peek behind the internet curtain if you will.
In reality, my life is not all bubbles and lollipops... but who the heck wants to read a blog about somebody's problems? Out of the last 100 times Cynthia has asked if I felt like going to the grocery store with her, or going out to eat with her, or any other ordinary activity, I would say I actually go about 10% of the time. The other 90% I just don't feel like it because of the pain I am in. It wasn't so horrible before my motorcycle accident in 2013, but now it is much more severe.
If it was just me, I would stay home all the time but that isn't fair to Cynthia. She already limits her activities because of me. I knew she really wanted to go horseback riding so I agreed. Yes, I knew it would be embarrassing, yes I knew it would hurt like the dickens but I also knew I could suck it up and endure all that to make her happy.
At the ranch, I used a platform that the horse walked up next to and the cowboys that worked there had to help me get on the horse. Nothing makes you feel like a man more than someone helping you get on a horse and swinging your leg over for you because you can't do it yourself (that was sarcasm). The saddle was hard and the ride was rough but in order to make some great memories with Cynthia, I put on a smile and took the best pictures I could. At the end of the ride, I had to be helped back off the horse. My butt hurt, my back hurt and my feet were killing me because it hurts to wear shoes. When we got back to the van, I immediately took my shoes off (which I always do). I checked the clock to see how long it would be before I could take any more pain medicine. I can only take it twice a day and I am already at the maximum dosage. 8am and 8pm are the times I look forward to so I can get a little relief.
I usually wake up every day between 4am and 5am because of the pain but I just have to deal with it until 8am. Imagine waking up every day feeling like your legs and feet are severely burned and there is nothing you can do about it. Yep, it sucks. I hate to complain though. It does no good and no one wants to hear it. We go to church every Sunday and Wednesday unless we are not home or the pain is just too severe. When I get to church, I have to take off my shoes and I don't stand to sing when everyone else does. I love going to church, it is the bright spot in my week and I hate to miss it.
I think that is enough on this topic to address the questions. If anyone else has a question on this subject, your are welcome to use the contact form to ask it. I'll put the internet curtain back up now and only show the smiles and the happy memories. After all, that's what the vast majority of our internet friends want to see. In summary, I will say this... I am blessed. I have a loving wife, a roof over my head and food to eat. I have everything I need and a little of what I want. One day this body will be gone and at the sound of the trumpet I will get a new one, an incorruptible one (1 Corinthians 15:52). That is the prize that I keep my eye on.